Monday, September 6, 2010

Yankee Stadium Experiences : 9/6/10 Baltimore Orioles come to town on Labor Day

Welcome back to another edition of Yankee Stadium experiences, this time it was the Yankees facing the Baltimore Orioles on Labor Day.

For most Yankee games I attend I go with someone who drives to the Bronx. This time I went via public transportation (go green!) so my morning started with taking the Long Island Rail Road to Penn Station. From Penn Station, I took the A train to Columbus Circle then I hopped on the D train. The subway was a lot quicker then I had remembered from the last time I went.

Once I got to the stadium, the crowd outside of gate 6 was huge, lots of people were mulling about all around on Babe Ruth plaza. Instead I went to gate 8, their was no line at all and the security workers were just standing around chatting. I may have mentioned this before but gate 8 is always the quickest way into the stadium (also the quickest way to monument park).

Once inside I wondered around and went to gate 2, to check out the kiddie cafe cart. But instead I was surprised to see a make shift team store in its place. The store is selling former player tees and other shirts relating to 2009 events for $10. They also had pins and lanyards for $ 1 and hats ( sized 7 7/8 - 8 only) for $10. I purchased a pair of lanyards that hold tickets.

I was sitting in my usual bleacher seats, this year most of the games in my plan had been night games, I had forgotten how hot the sun is out there. After the first inning my guest and I headed for shade, so we found a place to stand on the field level. We stayed down on field level from the second inning till about the sixth inning. The entire time their was an entire section of empty bleacher cafe seats, the entire time the security guard kicked people out who sat their or even put down their food. I can understand doing that early in the game, but by the fifth you have to realize nobody is coming. Just another bad job by the Yanks security.

The game was pretty exciting even though I saw A.J Burnett pitch for what felt like the 100th time. The Yankees came back from a two run deficit but Burnett couldn't keep the birds down and they would take the lead. The Yanks bats were silenced by star relievers Jim Johnson and Koji Uehara (sarcasm referring to star) and the bombers lost the game 4-3.

The season is coming to an end and since my college starts back up tomorrow so I have sold off most of my remaining games, but my final game before hopefully the playoffs is against the Boston Red Sox.

Some pictures from the match up :


What happened to the good ol' program booth.
Kei Igawa as part of the $10 shirts

This ad I found funny for the Jets on the LIRR


No comments:

Post a Comment