Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Yankee Stadium Experience : August 9th 2010 Yankees vs Red Sox

It had been 3 years since I had attended a Yankees vs Red Sox game at the stadium. I have realized alot has changed since when I saw them play on a cold April 2007 night. The Yankees hadn't won a World Series since 2000, still played in the old Yankee Stadium and at the time Doug Mientkiewicz and Kei Igawa were part of the roster. For the Red Sox, Manny Ramirez was still loved for "Manny being Manny" , David Ortiz was still beating up on the bombers and Dice-K had just come over from Japan. Of all the things I listed the only thing that is still somewhat possible is Ortiz beating up on the Yanks and even that, we now find out was performance enhanced.

So about the stadium experience. In my last trip to the stadium, I wanted to grab a Lobel's steak sandwich but the line was way too long. This time with a 2:05 pm start time, and myself arriving at the stadium an hour and a half early, the line was reasonable. Its different how they do it at the small Lobel's stand in left field compared to all the other concessions in the stadium. You tell the cashier what you plan to order, pay them and they give u a receipt. You then move along, show your receipt to another worker and they grab your food and put it in a Lobel's bag, even if it is just one sandwich.

The sandwich runs $15, but compared to a $5 crappy hot dog it suddenly seems like a bargain. Part of me believes that after eating the sandwich that for only $15 it is a bargain. The meat was tender and juicy, and they piled a lot of it on the bun. So in case you don't get my point, next time your at the stadium and you got some extra cash to spend and don't mind spending some time on line, head to Lobel's. Trust me you will thank me once your mouth is in heaven.

While walking around before the first pitch I noticed that the Yankees have added one of those machines in which you put a penny into it along with a dollar and an imprint of your choice will come out on the penny. Maybe it has been there for a while and I hadn't noticed. Anyways if you would like to make a penny yourself , the machine is located outside the team store behind home plate.

Finally 20 minutes before first pitch, I ventured to my partial plan seats in section 235 of the bleachers. Lucky for me, I am the last row so a cement wall is behind me that i can use as a back rest. Last row or not it was not going to save me from the heat on this warm August day. I was surprised by how sparse the crowd leading up to first pitch, eventually the seats would fill in and the Yanks drew another crowd over 49,000.

Through the first few innings the crowd never really seemed into the game. Maybe it was because it was hot or it was a day game during the week, maybe the rowdy people had work, also maybe because for this Monday matinee I did not spot many Red Sox fans. Either way for a Yanks - Sox game it was very calm.

Here are some of my thoughts on the game while it was happening :
  • Why in the world is Curtis Granderson playing against a tough lefty like Jon Lester
  • Great, Lester is having trouble throwing strikes and we cant get a hit off this guy
  • Um Yankees can you not get no hit by Lester here in the Bronx ?
  • Alright now I'm getting annoyed. The worlds most annoying voice over guy is doing the Zales marquee message board and the Yankees still don't have a hit. I hope the Zales marquee guy gets laryngitis and had to miss the next 25 seasons.
  • Marcus Thames almost saved the Yankees with a ball that hit off the top of the wall. Had the ball gone over it would have tied the game. At the time I wasn't too worried since the Yanks had no outs and I was feeling confident.
  • Following strike outs from Curtis Granderson, Derek Jeter and Nick Swisher to leave the bases loaded suddenly my confidence turns into frustration.
  • Also it should be known Jorge Posada and the Yankees pitchers could not contain Jacoby Ellsbury on the base path.
When Jonathan Papelbon struck out Mark Teixiera ( who will miss the next game,due to his wife having a child) it meant that the Red Sox had come away with a 2-1 victory and a series split. As i mentioned earlier the game didn't really feel like a game against the Red Sox. Mostly because I didn't notice any fights in the stands and only once heard a "Boston Sucks" chant.

Following the game, it took forever to leave out of the 161st street parking garage, as my friend and I stood outside his car and chatted I took a few pictures from the top level. Certainly a nice view of Yankee Stadium.

In case you have not noticed the Yanks have lost the last four games that I have attended. I hope to change that trend next Wednesday August 18th when I head back to the Bronx to see Johnny Damon return. I will be sitting in my usual section 235 in the left field bleachers, should be interesting to see how the fans respond to Damon's return.

I leave you with some pictures from the game
The mess in the parking lot trying to leave.
The view from 235
Nobody cheering or standing as Phil Hughes had two strikes on a batter with two outs and runners on.
The crowd following Tex hitting a solo blast
Odd looking picture of Gate 2 following the game. It looks like the stadium is bending.
The gorgous Yankee Stadium following the bombers 2-1 loss against the Red Sox

No comments:

Post a Comment