Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Yankee Stadium Experience: Yankees vs Blue Jays August 2nd 2010

Note : Sorry for the poor picture quality, these came from my cell phone. My camera is having trouble loading the pictures from that game.

As a student when I plan to attend a ball game, I end up sitting in either the grandstand or bleachers. My ticket plan is in the bleachers since that's almost all I can afford,but i love the view and coverage from the elements in the grandstand. On this trip I was sitting on the field level, as a birthday gift from my parents.

I left my house later then usual and was afraid of the traffic, but their was no traffic up until the RFK bridge when a bit of congestion at the toll booth delayed the trip, but we were still making good timing.

I made it into the stadium at around 6:40pm, too late for batting practice but still enough time to grab something to eat before the first pitch. I still haven't tried the Lobel steak sandwich and figured on my birthday was the best time to try it. I headed from the right field side of field level to the left field side to the Lobels stand. About two sections away I saw a random line in the middle of the concourse. I continued to walk towards the stand an I realized that it was the line for Lobels. The line was two sections long ! I understand that it is suppose to be amazing but I was not about to waste two or three innings on the line.

I headed back to my seats in right field, but stopped at section 116 for food. The highlander concession stand there had sliders and fries. Now most of the concessions at the new Yankee Stadium had high expectations and had fallen short for many. For myself when it comes to the concessions I feel they are grossly overpriced and the food isn't that great. But aside from the griping the sliders and fries might be the best deal in the stadium. You get three sliders (Buffalo chicken, beef or fried chicken your choice) and Nathans fries for $12, a steal by Yankee Stadium standards !

While I was on the line I saw a guy in dress pants and a cashmere sweater, I understand I was on field level but who would really wear that to a Yankee game? Even if your coming from work, that is something that has bothered me more and more about the new Yankee Stadium.

Anyways I finally made it back to my seat in section 110, row 29 (seats 13-15 my family was in) right in time for the national anthem. I finally sit down after all the wondering around on field level and I realized the seats we were in were obstructed ! It never said it at all on the tickets, that were ordered from Ticketmaster the first day Yanks tickets had gone on sale to the public. The section to my left (section 111) had a handicap section behind the seats. When I would look towards home plate I couldn't see the batter, all I could see was the pitcher. My mother was furious and went to complain. After an inning she came back angry and was told by the Yankees ticket office that they couldn't do anything.

The obstruction was so bad, and I was not about to sit through the entire game missing the batter especially since the face value on these seats were $90. So I made my way to the Yankees ticket office, I made sure to take picture of the obstruction. In the great hall their was no line so I talked to a guy at the ticket window who was surprisingly kind. At first he seemed skeptical that the seats were obstructed, but then I showed him the picture on my phone. He headed into the back to talk to a supervisor and when he came back he brought out new tickets in section 117A free of charge. So for all the bad press that the Yanks get about the raised ticket prices, the obstructed views and general un-fan friendliness they did get something right by switching my seats.

Section 117A has a pretty sweet view, right behind the Yanks dugout so I was able to get some real nice shots. The other cool thing is that in field level there is waiter service so you can order food and not miss any of the game. I ordered a Brother Jimmy's pulled pork sandwich that came pretty quick. The sandwich was really good and I would get it again in the future even with the $12 price tag.

The game itself was entertaining and frustrating. The Yanks had a 1 run lead until A.J Burnett imploded and gave up a record setting six doubles in the fifth inning. The Yanks attempted a come back but it fell short, Nick Swisher did hit a pair of home runs and Lance Berkman had his first RBI as a Yankee. The other upside was that Sergio Mitre,David Robertson, Boone Logan and Joba Chamberlain all pitched  scoreless innings.

A-Rod didn't hit 600, it should be noted that each time Alex was up most of the stadium was standing while section 117A and most of field level were still sitting. In fact at times it felt strange that I was one of the few fans to really stand up and cheer during certain events during the game. But I guess that is since they usually keep those types of fans out with the $300 price tag. A-Rod didn't get a hit in five at bats, striking out twice and grounding out the other times.

The final score of the game was Blue Jays 8 Yankees 6. Nick Swisher homered twice and almost had a third but it was a long fly to the wall. Following the game, while in my car I saw Nick Swisher in the car next to me. I yelled out to Swish and he nodded over and waved, he also stopped a few times to sign autographs for fans. What can you say bad about Swisher? Nothing he plays great and is great with the fans.

The field level experience at the new Yankee Stadium may not be worth the money if you actually have to pay $300 or you get with obstructed view seats (Don't ever buy section 110, row 29 , seats 13-15). But the view on field level in the infield is great, the option to order food from your seat although a limited menu is also a great way not to miss a pitch and the plush cushioned seats are comfortable.

My next game is August 9th in the bleachers against the Boston Red Sox, so expect a post with what was going on in the stands.

2 comments: