Sunday, July 18, 2010

2010 Old Timers Day

It was that special time of the summer, when all the Yankees greats gathered in the Bronx to hear their names called one more time. Old Timers Day 2010 (For the remainder of the post it will be referred to as OTD) was more somber than most, with the passing off George Steinbrenner and Bob Sheppard this past week. OTD is still a special event that only the Yankees could pull off with all the legendary players that have wore the pinstripes, outside of Opening Day,OTD might be my favorite game.

I had purchased the tickets to the game earlier in the week as a present for my father,following the deaths of two Yankee icons I knew it would be a special day. The draw back was I made the purchase on stubhub so I got stuck with crappy print out tickets.

Once I had arrived around the stadium, the crowd was larger than for most games, even arriving 30 minutes prior to the start of the OTD ceremonys. I got to my seats in section 417 and noticed that the Yanks now have a new Budweiser ad out in left field (Yes something only a Yankee nerd would notice) and that the outfield grass that had been torn up and looking dry from the boxing match back in early June, looked alot better.

The great part about sitting in the grandstand is that after row 5 you are covered from the elements, and if you are sitting near the top of the section you get a nice breeze. The breeze and being covered from the sun was a must for today with how hot it was. Prior to the start of the OTD ceremony, I spotted a gentleman wearing a "Costanza" 00 Yankees Jersey, making what I assume is a reference to Seinfeld. Since Seinfeld is one of my favorite shows, this had made my day.

As always the OTD festivities were well done, they honored the 1950 championship team and had moments of silence for the Boss and Sheppard, along with a video tribute for Bob. On a sad note Yogi Berra was unable to attend since he fell in his home yesterday. Berra was sore, but was fine other wise. I was surprised this year, it seemed like a lot of recent old timers were not there ( Strawberry, David Wells, Willie Randolph, Paul O'neill,Al Leiter, Dave Winfield, and that is just to name a few).

In what was a very classy move the Yanks introduced Bob Sheppard's wife last and all the old timers, many of whom had their names announced by Sheppard, crowded around her. The game its self is always fun to watch, possibly for the wrong reasons. I find it hysterical watching the old players out there trying to play like they did back in the day. Mickey Rivers hit a ball all the way to the warning track in right center field, which impressed me. With how hot it was out, I was surprised to see many of the old timers taking part in the game.

Between the OTD game and the current Yankees game I went to get food and get away from the annoying lady sitting next to me. I felt like I was at the old stadium up in the grandstand/terrace level it was so packed. The lines for food and the bathroom were long where ever you went, but I was able to find a sausage stand that wasn't too bad. The sausage its self wasn't anything special for eight bucks, but I was glad with the sausage to bun ratio. While we are mentioning concession stands, I feel the need to mention that if you order a drink from rolling cart stand, it comes in a bottle, unlike at the regular concession stand that only have cups and never have tops.

The real game was about to begin and I headed back to my seat in row 13. A.J Burnett gave up a run in the first inning already putting the Yanks in a bit of a hole. Burnett just didn't have it again today and gave up four runs over two innings, and was taken out of the game early because of a cut to his pitching hand.

After A.J departed to boo's from the capacity crowd, Dustin Moseley came in and pitched alright for his first two innings of work even though he threw a lot of balls. Finally in his third inning of work, Moseley fell apart and gave Tampa Bay a 8-2 lead and with the six run advantage many fans headed to the exits.

I stayed to the final out of the Rays 10-5 beating of the Yanks, and here are a few notes about the Yanks.
  •  Jeter dropped his season average to .269 and left six base runner stranded.
  • Robinson Cano ripped a ball to left field for a double and his only hit. Cano has such great power the other way, makes sense why he hits so well at Fenway Park.
  • Burnett's record is now below .500 at 7-8
  • During the 7th inning stretch, to honor Bob Sheppard they had a recording of him singing "Let me call you sweetheart"
When Jorge Posada grounded out to the pitcher in the bottom of the 9th it marked the end of a long day of baseball. It takes a true hardcore baseball fan to be able to endure a long day of baseball, even though the Yanks lost it was well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment